Sunday, December 7, 2014

The First Crossword

The Arsenal crossword was introduced in the first programme of the 1968/1969 season when the club started issuing larger size editions for the first time.

Compiled by John Barrett it went on to be a major part of the programme for several years.

I have no idea when the plug was pulled but the last one I have is number 685 against Oldham Athletic in 1994, my last ever Highbury game.

My programme collection in the Premier League era is years out. I went to some in 93/94 plus of course the Oldham game (a league cup tie) but the next home issue I have is 2002 and by then the crossword had gone. Perhaps Wenger felt it belonged to a time before he arrived!

In my flights of fancy as youth I would picture myself redesigning our programmes but I don't think I ever consigned to crossword to history...even though I never did them myself: I didn't like the idea of defacing the programme full stop!

For the first home game of the current season, 2014/2015, there is no crossword, but there is a true or false page with the answers at the bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment