Saturday, December 6, 2014

Then You Took My Highbury Away

I will never tire of looking at images of Highbury. I just wish I had gone more often and perhaps taken a bit more time to drink in the surroundings.

First, they roofed the Clock End.
Then, the destroyed the North Bank.
Next, they changed the badge
Finally, they took Highbury.

What we have is a shiney new stadium straight from the box, a stadium that looks similar to many others around the world. And a stadium that is only really accessible to those with deep pockets.

The promises made at the time of the move were just that. Ticket prices would be more affordable? Yep, for the richest. We would compete with the best. Yep, Liverpool and Spurs and possibly Everton.

At least the bowl is just around the corner from Arsenal Stadium so I can combine a visit to the former with one to the latter. But I would never go to Highbury then go to the bowl if I didn't have to.

Maybe the words of an aging old fart but I feel sorry for those who didn't get to witness Badger, roasted peanuts man, the police band, the schoolboys' enclosure, 10 to 3 against that lot from up the road, queuing down to Finsbury Park to get in, Make Money girls, the old half time scoreboards...

Memories are made of this...saviour them because one day that is all that is left.


No comments:

Post a Comment